Saturday, January 17, 2009

Day to Day activities

Well, we are approaching two weeks already, living in Genova.  Time is flying by and its probably only going to get faster now that classes have started and our trips will begin soon.  Over the last couple of days we have had a couple of more classes and also took on daily chores.  I have been chosen as "the milk man" for the group.  Every morning or at least every other morning I walk about three blocks down the street to retrieve milk for that days meals.  It's not a hard job and it keeps me from laying in bed until classes start.  The first day that I went I was a little uncertain about were to go.  So I went into this small grocery store and in my attempt to speak Italian I said, "Buongiorno" which means good morning.  Well, the store clerk responded to me by saying in very good English, "You must be from Clemson."  Since then I have made several more trips to retrieve milk and it is very nice to talk to someone that can speak English well.  
Professor Barbara, our sweet Italian professor has finally left to return to Clemson.  Now that we have completed our "crash course" in Italian this coming weekend is going to be available for travel.  And we are already planning a ski trip to Torino, Italy. It is located in Northern Italy in the Alps just below Switzerland.  Torino was host to the Winter Olympics a couple of years ago.  I am looking forward to traveling and seeing a new place.  Two weeks in this villa can sometimes get a little old.  I think the plan as of now is to leave Friday after class and sleep in a hostel in Torino.  Ski all day on Saturday and then tour around the city on Sunday.   
Tomorrow we will be touring around the Genova for our first day trip.  I will finally learn about all the sites that I have seen the past couple of days.

And lastly today I had two failed attempts at getting any errands done.  First, I woke up  this morning early to try to make it to the Apple Store before our studio started.  So after retrieving the milk, I started on the long trek to retrieve my charger.  Checking the time before I left and again after getting to the Apple Store I clocked my walk at about 40 minutes.  Only to get to the Apple Store to learn that the store was close Monday mornings and opened at 3:00 until 7:00.  I wanted to cry but there was nothing I could do but turn around and walk back.  I took a different approach back and stopped into a couple of interesting shops and art galleries.  This afternoon I walked to the bank and post office only to learn that they are only open Monday mornings and closed the rest of the afternoon.  So I will have to try to run my errands another day I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment