Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Moving along...

We have finally started some classes this week. Every morning until Monday of next week we will be taking a "crash course" in Italian. Basically it will help us be able to get around and ask for basic everyday things. It is going fairly well and I have picked up some phrases.
Our studio professor Bernard Sill, from Clemson, arrived Sunday afternoon and seems very nice. He is originally from Germany but has never been to Genova, Italy. But he definitely knows how to get around Europe, so that should be helpful.

Yesterday for our dinner time meal, Angelina, our cook, prepared a very interesting dish. I am not sure the name of the dish but it consisted of spinach, onions, peppers, and squid! It was basically like a goulash or succotash. But Italians take a strong pride in their cooking so we were all strongly encourage to try it. I managed to stomach several bites of this concoction but eventually had to surrender to its relentless coarseness. As I looked at our meal, I saw a reoccurring pattern. The second day of our trip we were served potatoes and broccoli medley. I found it to be very appetizing but there was quite a bit left over. Italians, as do my parents and grandparents, have a hard time wasting food so the next day, we had a broccoli and potato quiche. On the fourth day, there was a huge pot of boiled mushrooms and onions fixed and yet again, there were left overs. The very next day, one of the side dishes was mushroom quiche. So as I was sitting at dinner, I shared my revelation with my classmates to prepare themselves for squid quiche!!

I finally made it to the Apple store! It was about a 30 to 45 minute walk but it was worth it. The store owner was very helpful and especially liked it when I used my broken Italian to try to communicate. It went very smoothly and I should have a new charger in a few days. Today our Italian professor is taking us to a cell phone store so that we can purchase phones, so that we will be able to communicate with our classmates in case we were to get lost or stranded during our stay in Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment